Today is my 31st birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Instead of asking for presents, I’d like to ask you to celebrate with me by doing something today that stretches you outside your comfort zone. Because that’s the kind of party animal I am.
How do you stretch yourself? By doing something you don’t normally do, of course!
Ready… set… CELEBRATE!
31 Ways To Stretch Yourself
Choose one thing from this list that you haven’t done in at least a year – or ever. Do it in the next 24 hours.
- Read a book that was written at least 20 years ago.
- Read a book that was written at least 100 years ago.
- Watch a black and white movie.
- Watch a movie that requires subtitles. Bollywood is a fun place to start.
- Take pictures of things instead of people.
- Go 24 hours without TV.
- Go 24 hours without the Internet.
- Have sex during the day.
- Eat at an authentic ethnic restaurant. The Olive Garden and Chilli’s do not count.
- Make a vegetarian dinner.
- Dance to an entire song. In your living room, on a bar, doesn’t matter.
- Listen to a song that doesn’t have any lyrics.
- Make something you can wear. Consider beading or screen printing if you’re not sure where to start.
- Buy a plane ticket.
- Have lunch in a nearby town.
- Fill one box with items you no longer use. Give it away.
- Make a picture of someone you love. Use a camera, pencil, paint, or any other visual medium.
- Give someone a great gift.
- Talk to your neighbors.
- Go for a walk alone.
- Research the history of your city or state.
- Visit a church, mosque, synagogue, or temple. Go inside.
- Plant something.
- Walk through the non-fiction section of a library.
- Treat yourself to a spa treatment.
- Have a conversation with someone at least 20 years older than you. Call your grandma, visit a nursing home, chat up the guy at the bus stop. Listen more than you talk.
- Read an entire newspaper.
- Cancel one monthly payment.
- Mow your lawn or shovel your sidewalk, depending on the current state of your yard. Don’t have it done, do it yourself.
- Sell something.
- Do a crossword puzzle.
Why bother doing something new today? Because making an effort to stretch yourself is a great way to figure out what makes you happy. And because I get a thrill out of watching people step outside their comfort zones and it’s my birthday. Everyone should get what they ask for on their birthday.
Whatever they ask for – and cake.
Please feel free to share your experiences in the comments, on Twitter, or on your own blog. I can’t wait to hear all about how you celebrated today!